Tuesday, December 28, 2010

JYC Final Entries (2/2 today)

On our last day in Southern California, we went to Pasadena and helped decorate a float for the the Tournament of Roses Parade.  Here's the picture I'll use for my JYC:
My brother, sister-in-law and sister all went to Cal Poly State University and work there now.  The University enters a float in the Rose Parade every year, and we went to go work on it with my niece's girl scourt troop. The Cal Poly float has a Galactic theme. After working a bit "fluffing" flowers, we spent time washing buckets and assembling vials.  Not as glamorous as I had imagined it was going to be, but it gave me a big appreciation for all the work that goes into the floats. Here are some other pictures of the day:
Afterwards, we went to lunch at a Chinese Restaurant called Panda Inn.  Henry loves a fast-food franchise for Chinese food called Panda Express.  When he learned that it began as a regular sit-down restaurant in Pasadena (Southern California), he became quite intent on going there.  He was very pleased to hear we made reservations to go after working on the float.
We will definitely carry special memories of this day!
Tomorrow we head home to Northern California.  I'll be glad to take down Christmas decorations and finish up my JYC.  I'm ready to start looking forward to new projects.
I thought I'd use a photo of myself for the last page of my JYC.  This was taken on BART on the day we went into the City to look at the store windows. 
I will also use this photo for a post about winding up the holidays and looking forward to the New Year:
Are you feeling "done" with Christmas and ready to move on to 2011, too?
ETA: We arrived home safe and sound today, and I'm actually quite happy that the Christmas decorations are still up.  We'll probably leave them up for a few more days.  I ordered all my hipstamatic pictures yesterday through Scrapbook Pictures (in the U.S.).  It was very easy to do.  We'll see how they turn out.

8 comments:

scrappyjacky said...

Sounds like you had a fun and varied trip.
As we don't put our decorations up til mid-December...and I do love them....we usually leave them til first week in January...3 weeks in total.....I don't actually ever get fed up with them.
The xmas music has definately gone though!!!!

Denise said...

I still can't quite work Hipstamatic out, how you change lenses and effects. I love your photos of just you and the clock and tree - beautiful.I'm looking forward to new projects as well x

Sian said...

I love that photo of you for the end of your album :)

I don't like to take the decorations down too early - but our tree has dried out completely and really needs to come down before it falls on someone. Maybe tomorrow!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

How cool that you guys got to participate in the making of one of the Rose Parade float! That's awesome.

I love the photo of you, Rinda! Your JYC project has not been boring at all. Thanks for sharing the photos along the way.

And yes, I'm ready to be done with Christmas and move onto new projects myself. :o)

Anonymous said...

The Rose Bowl Parade has been a favorite of mine for years. I'm sure it wasn't glamorous, but I would have loved to have been there.

I'm not ready to put away Christmas yet. We're having good friends for dinner on New Year's Eve, so I want the house decorated. We'll take it all down before we leave on the fourth.

I just ordered photos last night from Scrapbook Pictures as well. For the first time in years, I have Christmas Day photos I like! I'll be really curious to hear how the Hipstamatic photos come out. What size did you order. I've said it before, but I've loved your Christmas journal. Mine ended up being way too much, but I'm determined to keep working on it.

laurie said...

sounds like you had a wonderful time with family. i have really enjoyed seeing your jyc project as it progresses.

Amy said...

Our decorations will come down in the next day or so - we don't have many so it is not all that overwhelming. I am still really glad to be away from home at the moment, when we go back there is going to be a lot of work waiting ... the longer this holiday is, the better!

humel said...

That's a lovely photo of you :-)

I know what you mean about being done with Christmas and done with JYC as a project, however much you loved them both - my own thoughts about these things have appeared on my blog so I won't repeat them here! It's been such a great project, though xx