Sunday, January 16, 2011

Let's Talk Textures and Photoshop

The next lesson in the Kim Klassen class I'm taking gives participants the low down or basics or "skinny" on how to use textures. They're like an overlay, which you soften and blend in various ways.  The photo above has a grey texture that I downloaded free from Kim's blog in this post, as well as a green overall fill, blended in softlight.  I like it pretty well.  The photo started life this way:
Before I ended up with the first photo, I also tried this one with the grey texture but no green fill.  It's too textured and too light for my taste:
I also tried this one with a free texture called on the edge., blended with hard light:
Kim Klassen seems to be a Goddess of Textures. If you follow her blog, she'll post free textures every now and then.  Also, if you join her crazy for textures list, she'll send you free textures every week.  You can sign up for the textures list at this link.
So, I think textures are pretty interesting, and I'd like to experiment with a few more.  What do you think of textures? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Got any favorite places for free textures (that you've used and know won't virus up your computers?).

7 comments:

helena said...

I enjoy textures and playign with the different layer options.

ShadowHouse Creations is where I get most of the free textures that i use - he has lots that are grungy and also some interesting things like old books and postcards.
http://shadowhousecreations.blogspot.com/

scrappyjacky said...

Haven't really used textures yet....still working at a more basic level!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love textures, too, and have amassed quite a collection thanks to Kim. I like them best on still lifes and landscape photos. Sometimes I think they are overdone, and for everyday photos, I like the original best most of the time. Playing with them more often is on my list for this year.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I'm like Jacky, haven't played with textures yet. I do enjoy seeing the different textures here on your blog, Rinda. I'll continue to live vicariously through your PhotoShop adventures. :o)

Sian said...

I certainly do love that top version of your photo of Clara.

I've been learning about text boxes and journaling spots in PSE in the Yesterday and Today class

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

They look good. I love playing with textures

humel said...

I've only used textures a little bit so far; I do love the effects you can get with them, though. I think (as I said on your other post about photoshop effects) that I like using them more as an art using photographs than as a way of enhancing my everyday photos - I suspect I phrased it more clearly in my other comment (or possibly not!) - I know what I mean though!!