Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pass The Book (A Temporary Replacement)

In a very ironic turn of events, the mail art "Pass the Book" for which I was selected back in December (or was it November?) has gone missing in the post.  It just couldn't find its way from Northern Ireland to Northern California.  Never fear - Sian is sorting it out and will be putting it back into circulation.  In the meantime, I'm offering this up as a replacement for now:  Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, 10th Anniversary Edition.
It is a lovely volume to hold in your hands - large, but not too heavy. It even has a padded cover (and a DVD nestled in the back).  It professes to be the album in which a young Victorian lady caught and pressed fairys (instead of pressing flowers, as she was intended to do), as well as the journaling she does to accompany her hobby.  I found it inspiring on many levels, but especially the watercolor artwork and the chirlish writing style. Sian thinks I should mention that it's actually written by Terry Jones, which may either intrigue you further or scare you off.
In any event, if you want to have the opportunity to receive Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book as part of Pass the Book, leave a comment below letting me know you are interested.  I'll post the next recipient and the inspiration I received from the book on Tuesday, Jan. 25 (so don't delay).  If you are the recipient, your responsibilities are fairly simple: peruse the book, take some inspiration from it, post the inspiration to your blog and then offer the book up to the next subscriber.  To learn more about the Pass the Book project, see this post from Sian's blog.

8 comments:

Amy said...

That sounds very interesting - not the sort of book I would usually gravitate to - but I'm up for something new and different!

Pity the post was temperamental - such a world wide phenomena!

Jennifer Grace said...

Oooh, I love fairy art in all it's forms so it would be great to have a chance to see this book! Thanks for offering a replacement pass-the-book even though you haven't seen yours yet! x

Julie Shoemaker said...

I think this is a wonderful idea, collaborating with inspirational ideas. I have lost so much through the postal system this year, it's a shame. I may want to be in your rotation down the road, but not right now, very generous offer though!

humel said...

Oh, this book really intrigues me every time I hear about it :-)

The other book may yet turn up; a few years ago I had to put in a claim for something I sent to the US, and the day I received a compensation cheque from the postal service, I also received an email from the person I'd mailed the package to letting me know it had arrived! (I didn't cash the cheque, obviously, but the situation would have got VERY complicated if I'd already been to the bank with it....) Anyway, here's hoping it either turns up soon, or can be sorted out very quickly :-)

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Oh me me me! I've seen it in the store a few times & find it fascinating.

Plus I love Terry Jones

laurie said...

count me in - this looks like a fun book to get lost in.
i hope the lost package makes its way to you sometime soon. one of my worst fears is a post office mishap!

scrappyjacky said...

Do hope the original still turns up,Rinda....it looked such a wonderful book.
I bet if this is written by Terry Jones.....it's fun and quirky....Monty Python can still make me laugh.
Count me in.

Melissa said...

Sounds like an interesting book - please add me to the draw.