Sunday, July 31, 2011

Class Review: Tim Holtz' Creative Blocks

Somewhere in the craziness of coming back from vacation and the stress of dealing with my poor, sick doggy, I had almost forgotten that I'd signed up for a class with Tim Holtz at Scrapbook Island in San Jose.  Luckily, I had arranged to carpool with my friend Cindy, and she reminded me of the class. I took Creative Blocks ($85 U.S.) and made this wonderful assemblage which I call "Time Skips Along." The class lasted four hours, and we made a decorated canvas, on which we mounted three smaller canvases and a variety of ephemera. We learned an easy technique to create a grid pattern, how to use a graphite pencil for shading and how to use a variety of Tim's products. For me, it was an easy and very enjoyable morning in which I learned a few new techniques and got to spend some quality art time with friends. Of course, the person who made it all worthwhile was Tim:
It's hard to imagine that there would be a nicer, more natural teacher than Tim Holtz. I've taken a half dozen classes with him over the last ten years and, in spite of his success and popularity, he remains the same, friendly, down-to-earth guy he has always been. Even though there were 70 girls in the class, he was completely accessible and chatted with all of us before, during and after the class. Can't give the class anything other than an A+.
Did a little shopping too (sorry for the grainy, upside down picture - can I blame it on Blogger?). . . bought some October Afternoon paper, stamps from the discount bin, a bunch of travel themed paper ("Destinations") from Simple Stories, baseball paper from Moxie, some distress stains, embellishments for our upcoming family vacation to Washington state and some vintager bottle cap shaped images!
In other news, my dog Gypsy seems to have stabilized. She had a blood transfusion and a bunch of tests (including a bone marrow biopsy) to deal with a severely low level of red blood cells. Right now, it looks like she has some sort of autoimmune disease, which we're attempting to  treat with drugs. We're all hoping for a good outcome, but her prognosis is definitely guarded. Good thoughts and prayers to St. Francis definitely appreciated.

17 comments:

Irene said...

My prayers go out to Gypsy for her speedy recovery. She is blessed to have a loving family to nurse her back to gook health.

How exciting to meet Tim Holtz. He looks like a down to earth kind of guy. Would love for him to come to Houston.

Amy said...

Poor little Gypsy-girl, it is never easy dealing with ill animals, I am sure you are all making her as comfortable as possible and let's hope she continues to improve on the medication.
The class sounds wonderful, and you are looking wonderful - all that good health and fitness devotion is certainly paying off!

scrappyjacky said...

The class sounds great...would love to take a Tim class sometime.
Sending healthy vibes to Gypsy.

Abi said...

This is beautiful Rinda, prayers for your Dog. Was looking through your London pictures. I love how you have captured a place that is very familiar to me but through different eyes. Fantastic! xxx

laurie said...

i love all the dimension of your piece and am jealous of your time with th!!! i will be sending lots of positive thoughts gypsy's way today.

Cheri said...

oh swoon.... i will definitely be watching for an opportunity to partake in a class with Lord Tim.

donna said...

I am so sorry about your Gypsy. I have been there. Thank you for your visits to my blog. It is very appreciated. I love what you have made in your class with Tim. I am envious. Take care and prayers for Gypsy. ..Donna

nancy y said...

I love what you made in your class! If the funds were there I would've taken them all - he is a great instructor!

I thought of Gypsy this morning... Fleetwood Mac's "Gyspy" was on the radio as I backed down the driveway and I wondered how your Gypsy was doing. I hope the meds help her out and she improves daily!

Jimjams said...

I meant to say how sad I was about Gypsy the other day when I "visited" - hoping that the vets can do the necessary and help her recover.

Beautiful creation from your Tim Holtz class - he seems really nice from his videos and I know people rave about his classes - they sell out within hours here!!! Glad you had a lovely time.

Anonymous said...

awww i hope Gypsy is going to be ok.. and love your T!m project!!

Mariana

Anonymous said...

I do hope that the vet is able to sort out Gypsy's problem and she is soon on the road to recovery.

What a gorgeous piece of art you have made too.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, Rinda, I love the piece you made and the photo with Tim is SO cute of you two.

Your poor little Gypsy dog! I hate when pets are sick. :o( My little Fancy cat hasn't been doing well lately, so I know the feeling all too well. Sending hugs and prayers for Gypsy and you!

The Mann Fam said...

What a fun thing to all of a sudden realize you had to take a class with Tim. Lucky lady.

How's your dog? Doing better I hope.

Terry said...

I sure hope Gypsy will pull through this! How fun, how fun to have a class with Mr. Holtz! Wow! Great project!

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

oh my goodness!!! that is sooo cool you got to go to his class. He is an awesome guy. I just saw him over at the Carson rubber stamp convention. He never looks tired, he's so energetic. I love all his products.

JIM said...

Photography is pretty old but it is always revolving and there is always something new to learn. Also it seems there is always something new to purchase lol
Really loved your blog and started following. I like to see what other photographers are doing


http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/08/photographing-grizzly-bear-in-alaska.html

Julie Shoemaker said...

Just wanted to stop by Rinda, it's been awhile. Your trip looks wonderful (and so do you). I'm hoping Gypsy gets well real soon. Take care.