Friday, July 8, 2011

Of Books, Videos, Classes and Photo Scavenger Hunts


I love this video of a song called "Longer and Stronger" by Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. We saw her at a music festival a couple of weeks ago, and the song really, really spoke to me. Push play and listen to it while you read the rest of today's post. Here's a sample of some of the lyrics:
"Pretty young things, how they come and they go
Ain't nothing lasting but no girl is sure
But a woman like me can stand the test of time
Day after day, you know that I . . .
Longer and stronger, that's how I live
The more I get the more I got to give
Fifty years of soul gone by, fifty more to come
You think you've seen something
But, Lord, I've just begun. . . "
I should mention that I was inspired to post this video because of this post from Tara Whitney with an awesome video by Walk the Moon.  Check it out!
Also, it's time to pass the book.  The next recipient of Still Missing is Just Jim Jams. Send me an email with your mailing address to rinda1961{at} yahoo {dot} com, and I'll get it in the mail to you.
I'm also curious about how many folks are doing the new Shimelle class. I'm a bit torn because I'm going to be gone for a good portion of it. I was actually hoping the new class would be in the fall.
Finally, I am over the moon excited by how many people are participating in the summertime photography and snapshot scavenger hunt!  Check out this post on Irene's blog; I love how it gives you a sense of Houston, Texas. Karen found a town meeting (see this post), which somehow just made me feel proud to be an American. Cindy continues to use the scavenger hunt as a way to tell stories about the places she lives and works, for example, this story about 101 California Street, San Francisco. Jacky is making a very cool mini-album for her pictures; check it out here. You may have noticed that I amended one of the items (decorated mailboxes) so that international participants can substitute a photograph of a garden sculpture. Should be easy-peasy! Let me know if there's any others that seem impossible. Again, the goal is for folks to have some fun with this. For those who have asked, it's definitely not too late to join.The hunt lasts until mid-September (details are in this post). The list is on the sidebar of my blog, there on the left.  Feel free to post a link to your entries below.
Enjoy the video and the rest of your weekend! Be sure to check back Monday for something grungily exciting!

7 comments:

helena said...

loving this song - the lyrics and her voice

I signed up for shimelle's class and also the new free one at Big Picture Scrapbook that starts in August

scrappyjacky said...

I signed up for Shimelle's class earlier in the year....when she offered a special price to Blogging for Scrapbooking students....I knew I'd love any of her classes....but now she's moved the start date....and I will also be away when it starts...which is rather annoying....but hopefully will catch up....and the theme is good for 'travellers' from the sound of it.

JO SOWERBY said...

i am doing shimelle's class and as always there is no definate start or finish date cos u have ongoing access to the forum. i think u should go for it maria,
jo xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm going to pass on the class this time as I will be on my own adventure for most of the class. I have so many projects going, I just can't justify adding another one! But I'll bet I'll be sorry!

Ginger said...

The song is awesome Rinda! I'm having a real hard time keeping up with classes these days... summer is just a busy time plus there are so many fun challenges out there. Having said that I did sign up for her class, mostly because of the special she offered... and Jo is right... you always have access :) Have a wonderful weekend!

laurie said...

great song!!! makes me feel good about being middle age. :) i am gearing up for the scavenger hunt - my nephews are coming for a two week visit soon so i am going to enlist them as my team.

Jimjams said...

Thanks for coming to "fetch" me Rinda - I'm a bit hit & miss with my blog reading at the minute and had a feeling I'd put my name down for one of the books somewhere ... you've saved me having to hunt out where it was :P
And seeing that I'm not to late for the Scavenger hunt, I may make it our summer holiday project! Thanks!