Monday, November 7, 2011

Origami Takes Time

A recent prompt from Shimelle in her Pretty Paper Party class suggested doing some origami and using it on a layout.  Loved the idea, and I especially loved a folded circle border she did, which I believe she described as "easy peasy." Well, maybe for her! For me, it took quite a while to figure out. LOL! Luckily, I liked the results (I added some punched Christmas trees as well), and the embellishment was just the thing that I needed to finish up this layout from our visit to the Christmas tree farm (click on it to enlarge it and see more details):
The layout, without the origami borders and journaling square took me about ten minutes to put together. I spent about 45 minutes on the easy-peasy embellies! So, this layout ended up taking about an hour to make. I would guess that most of my layouts take about 30 minutes (now that I'm in the creative zone and am working mainly from a selected group of papers). What about you? How long does your typical layout take?
************************************************************************
Today I am grateful for: The fact that my schedule is lightening up a bit, and I am able to exercise more regularly.

15 comments:

Amy said...

I think that your origami was worth the effort because it looks fantastic - I bet it will be easier second time around!

Typical layout time for me is around 10-15 minute mark .. depends on how difficult a time I have deciding on papers or how long my journaling is!

Mary B said...

the origami was definitely worthwhile it puts a zing into the page.

My pages sometimes come together very quickly and other times take forever, sometimes they flow as I add and other times I wish I could start all over again.

Sian said...

Those embellishments would look great on Christmas cards too.

Typical time? I tend to work in short concentrated bursts. Setting aside an afternoon to power through a few layouts just doesn't work for me. I leave a layout out and go backwards and forwards to it until its finished. Probably anywhere between 1 and 2 hours for each one I'd say

Cheri said...

let's just go with "a LOT longer than that" so I don't have to totally embarrass myself (hanging my head in shame).

I love the origami embellie

Jimjams said...

I'll hang my head in shame with you Cheri - if a page takes less than an hour it's a shock - I can take days!

Alison said...

Love your origami circles..haven't dared attempt this one yet! It can take me between half an hour and an hour get a LO done, once I've chosen the pics and papers.
Alison xx

Irene said...

It takes me about an hour for a layout page if I have all the supplies handy. Sometimes I think the page needs more, so I put it to the side for a couple of days to think about it. I might even visit the websites and craft stores to get ideas of what needs to be added. The origami looks great on your page.

Unknown said...

Your origami circles are lovely!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Love the circles! I always find origami takes me forever. Even folding a paper airplane takes me forever

laurie said...

such a pretty way to display your paper and add interest to a page! i would have to say it was well worth your effort. :-)

Sue Althouse said...

Beautiful work! I did love this idea and want to try it out myself. Love your inspiration.

Yvonne said...

Beautifully done, Rinda!

Anonymous said...

I tried to leave a comment earlier (actually, several), but Blogger ate them all. I think it's actually a Google problem, so I'll try again.

Love the origami. I don't find it easy either, but Sian is right, it would be great on a card, too.

Lynn said...

Awesome layout. Love the circle punch border!

Melissa said...

Great job with the circle border - I want to try that one too. I doubt it will be "easy peasy" for me either. LOL