Wednesday, July 10, 2013

This page makes me happy because . . .

One of the assignments for week #3 of the Find Your Voice Workshop is to create a crafting project which makes you happy and list five reasons why it makes you happy. This is a page I made for the altered book I'm creating for the Passport to Art class I'm also taking.  The page was not in response to a particular prompt for the class. I just made it, well, because it made me happy. Why did it make me happy?
1. I like the colors - red and yellow/orange with blue accents are a color scheme I return to over and over again in my art.
2. When I wrote the list of major ports of call I have visited on the next page of my altered book, I had forgotten to include El Salvador. This page allowed me to memorialize this trip and make sure it didn't get lost in the ether. 
3. It came together easily without a lot of planning or creative angst. I saw this picture in my book, it reminded me of El Salvador. I pulled out some map paper and found a few embellishments that worked; jotted down a few thing that I remember about El Salvador and it was done! 
4. I like the little art doll embellishment, and I didn't think I'd find a good use for her. Images of women are another recurring motif in my art work.
5. My journaling captures, in a few well chosen words, the things which were special to me about El Salvador: the softness of the air, the smell of the flowers, the volcano on the horizon and the shrine to the Jesuit martyrs.
Have you ever thought about what makes you happy about your art? It's an interesting process, and I think my answers will be different for the other two assignments for this week (a series of photos which make me happy and a story that makes me happy). I'll be sharing these over the weekend or early next week!


16 comments:

Miriam said...

Another beautiful page. No I have never consciously thought about what makes me happy when I am creating but I will today. I have rather a lot on until the end of July but every project I do makes me happy even as I sit with my calendar/mouse mat trying to fit everything in, reading your post I am smiling...

Heather said...

I love how you so freely express yourself in your art Rinda. I tend to get bogged down in finding the right photo, the right words & the right embellishments until I convince myself I'm rubbish and walk away! I think I need a lesson or two from you ;-)

JO SOWERBY said...

I actually did while working on my assignment for week four of class, so excited. I love scrapbooking again at the moment. I am also hoping my CPN refers me for art therapy which she mentioned today at our appointment,
Jo xxx

ForgedinPaper said...

Love the page and it's a great topic. I like the process of losing yourself in colours and shapes and using my hands.

Cheri said...

I love how the art doll grounds your journaling (or vice versa?). Great pair!

Karen said...

Love the color combination; perfect for the page. I'm happy when my final product matches my vision for it!

SandeeNC said...

I'm still working on this one, but love your journal page!

Abi said...

I don't think I have ever thought about what makes me happy in my art. As you say I think it would bring up some interesting results. I like the colour scheme you have chosen.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Love the colors and design of this page, Rinda. Why my art makes me happy...it's an interesting thing to ponder and one that I've never thought to articulate. Thanks for the inspiration!

Nathalie said...

Isn't this called a Chola cactus? I think it might, in any case I love the page and especially the little lady... for some reason I like the contrast of proportion between the plant and her. I love her expression too, she looks like she's dancing.

Beverly said...

This page makes me happy because I think the plant....cactus? is very, very cool and somewhat funny looking :)

Annie Claxton said...

This really is a happy looking page, love the little doll. I haven't even made a start on Week Three yet, but thanks for the tips about where to post etc - I have at least managed to find where to link each week and I may even try the FB bit next! Learning how to do something new makes me happy :o)Looking forward to seeing what else you create xxx

nancy y said...

I like the times when something comes together so effortlessly and is such a joy!

Flora said...

Cute page. I think the little doll is the best part.

Unknown said...

The little girl is very cute and the orange helps her pop off the page.

Anonymous said...

I love the colours in this layout.