Monday, February 10, 2014

Channeling Georgia O'Keeffe (part 1: bones and shells)

{This post is photo-heavy. It was originally even longer, but I decided to divide the post into two parts. So, if this intrigues you, come back tomorrow for Part 2: flowers.}
I gave myself the morning off to spend some time watching the videos in the "Studying Under the Masters" class I purchased. The class is now in Week 5 and, while I enjoyed doing a few projects for Matisse in Week 1, I had no time to play in Week 2 (Cezanne), Week 3 (Gaudi) or Week 4 (Botticelli). I'm sure I'll get back to those later this summer, but I definitely wanted to jump into this week's lesson on Georgia O'Keeffe. I have lots of ideas percolating around in my head for creating in soft pastels, acrylics and water color, but in the meantime, I wanted to pull a few things out of my archive where I feel connected to or inspired by O'Keeffe. The first is the skull photograph I took several years ago in a nature museum. 
Another is an assemblage I did in a Michael DeMeng class (read about it here):
I also made this art journal page,with an image of an antlered fashion model:
Can you see the connection to these stunning works by Georgia O'Keeffe?
Deer's Skull with Pedernal
Ram's Head, White Hollyhock and Little Hills
Black Door with Snow
I hadn't ever seen the Black Door with Snow before looking at O'Keeffe images this morning, but I really like it.  Another unknown (to me) work which I really, really like is this one, titled Red Hills with White Shell:
It reminds me a bit of some of my shell photography:
I guess I can see now why I'm so interested in this week's lesson. I'm obviously drawn to many of the same influences that called to her. And I'm sure that my interest is an internalization and reflection of how much I have always admired her art work. I just don't think I realized it until today!  Are their artists whose work inspires you on a conscious or unconscious level? Can you see where I am channeling Georgia?

10 comments:

Cheri said...

I can definitely see her influence in what you are drawn to. As for me, the only artists I know anything about are Van Gogh (love Starry Night and Sunflowers) and Picasso (totally don't "get" why people liked the distorted human features). I really need an adult education course in art appreciation! Jay & I saw The Monuments Men over the weekend and I wasn't familiar with any of the art referenced other than the Mona Lisa.

Amy said...

Yes, I can see how you are influenced by her work - I particularly enjoy seeing the themes replicated through the shell photography.

Miriam said...

What a great post and easy to see how you are influenced by her. I love that black door.

Sian said...

This is really interesting and of course I'll be back for the next part!

When TTO was about 10 he had to do a school project on Georgia O'Keefe, so we drove to Dublin for a special exhibition which just happened to on there and enjoyed some originals..something we wouldn't have done if it hadn't been for that project. It was a good day.

Beverly said...

Love the two pieces you created. Isn't it interesting how we are influenced by works and don't even realize it. The shell study brought a "wow" seeing the connection.

Alison said...

I can definitely see her influence....like Cheri, I need an art education course!!
ALSON
N xx

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Ah, yes, I definitely see similarities in your art, Rinda, and your photos in this post are so awesome. As for an artist that inspires me, I'm not sure. I'm probably more in line with current-day-blogger-artists than any of the masters. :o)

sky-blu-pink said...

Love the crab shell with marine treasures. I must show my husband this post- he loves animal skulls.

scrappyjacky said...

I can certainly see her influence....I really like all the shell work.

Andria said...

Your assemblage is really wonderful, Rinda!