Saturday, May 24, 2014

Seasonal Creative Projects Part 3: December Journal and Printer Review

I know that summer is just around the corner, but I only recently finished my December Daily album. This project is another one of those seasonal creative projects that I really enjoy. I've blogged about a few others over the last two days.
In the past, I've done Shimelle's Journal Your Christmas, but this year I decided to do a December Daily documenting both the every day and holiday-related events in December.
I decided to feature one photo and one memory (more or less) for each day in December.
I decided to take this approach when I decided to get a photo printer for Christmas because I figured that way I could print out a photo each day and stay on top of it. Although I bought the printer before Christmas, I didn't actually set it up until I arranged the art studio/ guest room this spring.  So, the project got shelved for a while.
I was happy to return to it and complete it. On the whole, I'm happy with how it turned out. I like having a journal to document a month in our life. I may do traditional scrapbook pages at some time as well. But, even if I never do, I will always have my December Daily.  It was a fun project, too. Easy to put together, at least once I got my printer running!
Speaking of printers, I settled on the Canon MX920 printer. For not too much more than a pure photo printer, I got a dual photo and document printer. It does a very nice job printing photos and a great job printing documents. It has lots of bells and whistles; my favorites are the wireless printing ability and the ability to print on both sides of a page. On the down side, I haven't been able to figure out how to use the scanner, but I'm working on that. And it seems to go through ink very quickly, but maybe that's the way of all printers? In fact, I need to buy more ink before I can print any more photographs. How many photos can you print before you run out of ink?

8 comments:

Jane said...

I find the same problem with the ink so don't print photos as often as I would like to. a lovely album to look back on x

Sian said...

Round here we have a saying that printer ink is more expensive than petrol. And our petrol is very expensive!

Christmas albums are great to look at any time of the year :)

Missus Wookie said...

Congratulations on finishing the album - so nice to get such things done. Agreeing with Sian about the petrol and ink... I do like my laser printer for that but while it does documents brilliantly it isn't wonderful for photos. Have considered a small photo printer but not made a decision.

Melissa said...

Way to go getting this album completed - it looks great! I have a similar printer (HP something or other) and love that I can print photos & documents & double-sided & scan & do all of it wirelessly from any of our computers! I print sporadically so never pay attention to how many photos I can print - I always keep extra ink cartridges on hand so I don't run out in the middle of a project.

Linda said...

Love your album Rinda! All those lovely family photos! I too love to do Dec album, but the last 2 years I have spent time scrapbooking older Christmases. It's always been a goal of mine to have all my Christmas photos in 1 place. As for printers, we too have a photo/document printer. I print out a few photos that I want in different sizes, but the ink is ever so expensive!

Karen said...

The Christmas album is wonderful! My old Canon printer does pretty well with ink, but I use a laser printer in the basement for documents, and save the ink on my printer for color prints and journaling.

alexa said...

It looks lovely,your December Daily, with lots of journalling and photos ... And as for printers and ink? Arrgh is my reply! I have an HP and I swear there must be only a teaspoonful of ink in each cartridge.

Anonymous said...

It looks wonderful Rinda. I like that paper with all the words on it. As for printer ink, it's hard to say - my printer has 8 cartridges and they all give out at different times although the black ones are definitely more frequent than the others. I just changed a couple yesterday so I'm going to try and see how long those 2 last.